Yesterday we took a trip to the ED. That is the LAST place I ever want to be and the last kind of patient I want to be either! I woke up about 8:30 with a sharp RLQ and flank pain. Took some Tylenol, and laid back down. No relief. I though for sure it was gas and would pass, but no such luck. I started to get worried, as my ovaries are the size of large lemons and have many cysts on them. My first thought was ovarian torsion, where the blood vessels twist on themselves and the ovary can die. The next was ruptured cyst and low on my differential was an appy or kidney stones. So I called the fertility doc and since no one was in K'zoo, I called my OB. They said to go to the ER.
While there they did all sorts of tests......of course all BEFORE giving me pain and nausea medications and allowing me to go to ultrasound vomiting! Anyway.....everything looked good on the ultrasound and the babies hearts are still ticking along. No evidence of ruptures cyst, no kidney stone and no gallstones either. The radiologist was baffled, as was I. I got 3 rounds of nausea meds and two rounds of pain meds before I felt decent enough to go home. It wasn't until midnight that I was truly pain free. I still have twinges of pain, but am doing considerably better. I was most worried about our babies, but everything is okay. I have to follow up with the specialist next week. I hope this isn't how the whole pregnancy is going to be!
Nate gets the best hubby award for sitting with me in the ER for 5+ hours and holding and washing out my barf bucket for me! He is the best!

2 comments:
Good job Nate! Melissa, I had all sorts of problems like that simply because of the excessively high hormone levels with twins. It settled down after the first trimester. Hang in there, before you know it those two will be kicking your butt at Wii like mine!
Nate and Melissa...CONGRATULATIONS!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Somehow I just had a feeling you were going to have twins. And just think, Melissa, you were right. Two for the price of one!! How exciting, and before you know it you'll be chasing two down instead of one. What a way to get your exercising done...FUN!! Love ya both, Barb
Post a Comment